Friday 12 January 2018

Bar Trawl!

Midtown East - Dennistoun?
After my very successful visit to The Kirkhouse Bar and Kitchen on Sunday The Mary suggested we make this our new ‘thing’ and explore the culinary delights of bar food on the Lower East Side of the City.

The meaning of Gastronome can be defined as ‘things’ related and concerned with good food, so our expectations are elementary, my dear reader.  One of the examples given in the Collins Dictionary states; ‘Paris is the gastronomic capital of the world’. 
Could we prove them wrong?
Would Dennistoun give ‘Le GayParee’ a run for its money?

After Googling <Gastro Pubs in the East End> we noted the names of the two top epicurean establishments in that area and off we sauntered in excitement and anticipation. First stop was a bit of a disappointment because we wanted more than a pie or a birdie and to tell you the truth, I’ve paid too much for my teeth to risk them on day old pastry with a concrete base.  So, onwards we went to the next acclaimed institution.


Have you ever been in TheCorinthian?

Well, this was nothing like that. It was more like Chalmun’s Cantina from Star Wars in the deserted world of Tatooine. Dimly lit, cold and damp it looked like a stopping point for budgie smuggling, toothless terrors. In fact, when asked if I wanted a drink by a slobbering, smashed sloth at the bar, I replied, declaring I didn’t drink. He retorted, spurting with elation,
“I F****** love that, I would pure take you oot.
I’d save an effin’ fortune.
Ma Mrs drinks 10 cans a day!”

I thanked him and said I would think about it and maybe see him there the next time!
The Mary said,

“You were punching above your weight there Glasgow…The only Gastro in there is Enteritis!”

She then decried my internet skills deciding we should go to The Nakodar Grill which, in 25 years has never failed us. Also, by this point we needed, at least, a Bhoona, Vinda’ and a loo because we were freezing and pishing ourselves laughing in the street.
The Nakodar Grill was comforting in its exquisite 18th century grandness and provided us with the finest quality, nutritious, Indian food which went down a treat. Although, we had spent so much time gadding about beforehand we couldn’t heat up. Even the warm glow of the live, tandoori Kitchen didn’t do the trick and we shivered out way through what was a true Gastronomic delight! 

In the end we decided the confusion was because pubs keep changing their names and Google can’t keep up with the debauched delights of our fabulous town!

See you the next time…

Me and The Mary!

No comments: