Tuesday 6 February 2018

Cafe Source!

of Disappointment!
The Mary has been a bit quiet of late and I don’t mind this because it makes her seem kinder when she’s not being mean to me and taking the piss.  I’ve decided to take her back to her roots tonight and we’re going ‘doon’ the Calton. 

She got very excited and thought I was taking her to visit someone in Cornton Vale and she could try out her new drone to get cigarettes in. 

She’s so thoughtful is The Mary.
I explained we were, in fact, going to Café Source at St Andrew’s Square in what people are now calling Merchant City. 

What’s that all about? 
It’s definitely The Calton to me.

Established over sixteen years it’s now supposed to be ‘one of Glasgow’s Top Restaurants’.
Who decides these things? 

No one ever asks me or The Mary, and if they did, we’d be telling them what’s good and what’s not.  I’d also be pointing out they need to reset some of the boundaries because, last time I looked, St Andrew’s on the Square is definitely classed as being in the East End!

Café Source claim, their aim is to use only the finest ingredients, sourced from the best Scottish suppliers to fulfil their promise in offering satisfying dishes from their A La Carte menu whilst giving classics a modern twist.  
   
Seemingly they do great value lunches and pre-theatre menus complimented by their vast range of wine and beers.

They also say they’re happy to serve you with ‘just a coffee’ and I’m going to test them on that one day.  I might take up a table on one of the busiest times and keep it for 4 hours.
BUT…
We booked, I picked up The Mary, got there, parked and found our way in to the basement café. 
So far, so good. 

Although it seemed unusually quiet, it was definitely open and we could hear voices coming from somewhere?  I did my usual, “Hello Hello Hello.” then gave it another minute or so before we decided to leave.

So, maybe it is great, maybe it isn’t?

I’ll never know so can’t comment. 
We walked back to the car, headed into town to hit BABS for a Shish and it was marvellous as usual.
Staff are friendly, remember us, food is deliciously authentic and very reasonably priced.   You can’t book a table and although it’s always busy, we’ve never been turned away.  Even if there were no tables available we would still wait.  Or, I could nip along and borrow some of the empty ones from Café Source!

See you the next time!
Me and The Mary!


No comments: