Saturday 24 March 2018

Val D'Oro!

The Singing Chippie!
That Mary is turning into a pretentious Git and wanted to go to The Rogano, again, tonight. She’s now saying nowhere else matches her ‘taste’ and they don’t even do a snifter of Foccacia. I soon took her down about a hundred pegs and asked who the F#@$ she thought she was?
Anyway I had already booked; well sort of. Not sure if they take booking at the Val D’Oro but I hadn’t had time to call ahead so we took the chance and turned up. The last time we had been there was about 15 years ago with my Dad and I had to make sure he had a fish supper before he went on a bender. They still have fabulous old pictures on the walls from times gone by when it would have been a date or some other important occasion to go and sit in to have fish and chips.
I remember a guy took me on a date there. He was testing me out to see if I complained. Me, complain about somebody taking me for food. For me it’s always been about the company, chat and simple food which make the evening special. That and maybe finishing off the night with…well, that’s for another forum!
Run by the Corvi family since 1938 it is a Glasgow Institution; bit like Barlinnie in that the interior has not changed since the 1950’c making Glasgow’s finest and worst feel right at home with equal status. The small Formica tables are a leveller for any Glasgow Bum.
There is also in house entertainment in the form of owner, come opera singer Luigi who’s known for belting out a wee Aria between a fish tea and a supper. I asked The Mary if she thought they did Gluten free and she replied;
“Aye right pal! I think if you asked them that you’d be the only thing getting battered ‘roon here!”
The Mary thinks I'm a 'frustrated auld hag' and need to get a man but the truth is; I;m very happy how I am with may pal and, The Loves of My Life!

Fish, chips, Glasgow and The Mary!
See you the next time!
Mx

No comments: