Sunday 27 May 2018

Tarantino's Glasgow


Mary Tarantino!

I’m usually in control of bookings when going out for dinner but one of my friends surprised me last Thursday and took me to Tarantino Ristorante on the Lower East Side of the town.
However, The Mary was raging and it was like a scene from Pulp Fiction when I told her because she’d suggested this place weeks ago.  Eventually, when she put down her chromed .45 Auto-Ordnance M1911A1, I explained it wasn’t opened on a Monday. So here we are, going out on a Tuesday. 
Rock ’n Roll!
It’s turned out to be a delightful evening and has taken me back to my first pasta experience; Deliceto nella Provincia di Foggia in Puglia circa 1978. That dish, about 40 years ago, was orecchiette con le cime di rappe which is a rustic dish made with wild vegetables and freshly made pasta. It's a robust, staple, regional plate and can be adapted in so many different ways; with broccoli, green beans and fave.  I like mine tossed in chillies and roasted garlic with fresh, virgin, olive oil waved over the plate just before serving!
We were greeted at Tarantino by Antonio, who was proper Italian with a hint of Greek but that’s just my opinion. I didn’t ask where he came from but as soon as he started talking to his Compadre I knew he was from Puglia.  The accent is very distinctive accent and, when I speak Italian, people tend to know exactly where I've lived.
Tarantino is run by Giovanni Giglio, who is also the Head Chef and produces dishes which reflect the heritages and traditions of Southern Italy. Both Puglia and Sicily are vividly represented in the menu, the décor has a unique and authentic feel and I loved it!
We both ordered pasta.  I had the same dish I’d had on my first visit and The Mary had Wild Boar meatballs with tomato and wild mushroom sauce and at £12.95 it was sunlight, shining in the window robbery!
Dishes are freshly prepared using the freshest and most authentic produce available from both local and Italian Suppliers. The Mary was In her element and trying not to interrupt her I said….
She garbled through a meat ball:
She's never happy that lassie but she does know a good quote when she hears it!

Ci Vediamo Presto!
Me and the Mary
Mx

No comments: