Thursday 14 June 2018

Pane e Vino!


Bread and Wine!
So, I said to The Mary we were going to Pane e Vino and she hits out with;
“Does that no mean Bread and wine?”
“Yes”,
 I answered, almost politely
“But you don’t drink and don’t eat breid!  Is this about your shirts no fittin’ ye again?  FFS ye cannae sit and eat nothing and I’m no listenin’ tae ye moaning about yir fat belly again!”
She has a certain charm that’s almost undetectable to most people but it’s just as well I love her and can take it on the chin, belly, pride and spirit!
Pane e Vino is in Giffnock and run by the cheekily magnificent PiertoSarti who is the youngest son of Lucio who was the son in love of one of the founders of Fazzi’s in Glasgow. Along with his brother Sandro they keep Glasgow’s love of Authentic, Italian produce alive and offer a genuine experience of the real Italy.  Rich in culture warmth, taste and smell, they stay true to what lovers of Italy expect and appreciate.
They’ve brought an honest, red-blooded, Italian, beating heart to the community in Giffnock and my heart is pounding at the thought of turning up with The Mary and them saying they don’t have focaccia. She’s not had any for about two months and is like a dug on heat.
It’s been a lot longer for me and it’s not a dough base I’m after. What I want usually comes with a tender ego which needs to be approved and stroked constantly. Men seem to need praise and approval of every effort they make; bit like a dug actually and I already have my wee Cicca.
When we arrive at Pane e Vino we are both immediately transported back to the 80s when we used to go to Fazzi’s on Clyde street for the weekly fix of cheese, pasta, bread and wine. In my opinion the Supermarkets destroyed this experience and while all the while selling inferior products. The smell  fills with the essence of Italy and the atmosphere is charming.
The Mary asked me;
“What is it? A Deli? A CafĂ©? A Restaurant? A Coffee Shop?”
My reply was it was none of these but all of them at the same time.  An eclectic mix of all of the above; giving a welcoming sense of belonging. You could pop in for a packet of Pasta and sit for a cup of my favourite Italian Aroma Coffee. Drop in for your favourite tipple and sample un bicchiere di vino if you can’t make up your mind which one to choose.
Unfortunately we’d arrived in the evening and the two main Pasta dishes they’d made much earlier in the day were long gone. Although disappointed, I do like the fact dishes are not quickly and simply prepared. We settled for Pollo alla Cacciatore. It was served with the most delicious roast potatoes done with garlic and rosemary.
Of course The Mary had to have garlic bread instead of Focaccia and was not too happy about that so I need to rectify this next week. Thing is, we’ve found many Italian places are closed on a Monday and it’s the only day she’s allowed out.  So, if any of you out there wish to take on the 4 weans another evening in the week my job and her mood would improve immensely.
They also sell one of my favourite desserts Torta della Nonna but with my bludgeoning waistline I had to give it a miss.  
Maybe next time!
And there will be another visit!
Take it easy!
Me and The Mary!
Mx
 P.S. I actually think the Fabulously Gorgeous Natalia does most of the work but....


No comments: