Friday 21 April 2017

NYC versus GLA!



Just like Muhammad Ali and Cassius Clay; last week I had two heavyweights vying for my attention!  Well three actually but one was a no show on my part but I’ll tell you about ‘the proposal’ later!

Being born and brought up in Glasgow I am one of the greatest defenders of its title as one of the friendliest cities in Europe. I would sing its praises all day long and well into the night if given an ear and the chance to do so.

However, last week I found myself loving New York because Scotland had landed in the Big Apple.  It was Tartan week and we arrived the day before the Tartan Day Parade and as soon as I kissed the tarmac I sensed the tension in anticipation of the next day’s bout.  I spend time in NYC every year but up until last week I had been a Tartan Day virgin!

I do think of NYC as a big Apple but with a hollow, seeded core whereas, for me, Glasgow is a full-blooded, pulsating heart which was about to pump life onto 6th Avenue from 44th to 55th Street in ten straight rounds.   With actor Tommy Flanagan at the helm, we fought our way through the streets with thousands of supporters cheering us on through every excited, air punch.



He reacted to being appointed Grand Marshal by saying, 


“I have great pride in my heritage. Although I now live in Malibu, I visit Scotland regularly with my family. I'll have my daughter flying her flag forever." 

There were Bands, Pipers, Dancers and Clans from Scotland and throughout the United States and Canada who joined the Parade, along with dozens of Scottish and West Highland Terriers.  As we marched through the streets it reminded me of the film Somebody up There Likes Me with Paul Newman and Pier Angeli.  It tells the story of a boy who has a difficult childhood but goes on to become  a world champion boxer winning six titles in a row.  I was expecting ticker tape to flutter down from the skyscrapers. 

A bit like Rocky Graziano and Tommy Flanagan I had quite a challenging up-dragging but it set me in good stead to face any opponent and this week I was conquering NYC!

We Scots are the champions of our destiny and my task was to have the best experience of this town I could!  I'm not a twee, tartan kind of gal so I opted for Clan Italia as I'm back in the fold with the Italians and will be spending some time there this year after 5 years of exile!


As the parade started I introduced myself to a charming, very dapper, Ginger, (like my own self) a Scottish man named Gary.  I asked him what he did and said I recognised him from somewhere and asked is he have anything to do with food or restaurants?

Well, I don’t watch the telly as I’m very busy with The Mary and going out and all but, he only turned out to be the Masterchef Professional winner Gary MacLean.  I had seen him in posters promoting Glasgow City College, for which he is an exceptional ambassador for education and Scotland.  He remains humble and proud of all things Scottish and is fiercely patriotic.

As you can see from my links (if you have clicked) all the best stories seem to be in The Herald these days; my preferred paper of the moment.  I’m going to leave that there because if I start talking about the tabloids we would be here till Christmas and I’ll never get to catch up on MasterChef.

If you want to take part in The Tartan Day Parade then you can do so by registering on the link on their page and I know I will be doing this and booking my flights as soon as the link is live.  Let’s all go and take a 'Glasgow Hearts The Big Apple Banner' with us.  I’ll could co-ordinate the group; make contact at the following, red link if you are interested.

After 8 days in The Big Apple I decided it is a big hitter and 'denser' than Glasgow but for me, as far as customer care and hospitality is concerned, it’s a lightweight.  Servers are aggressive and often sound as if they are reading from a script.  They may simply be 'waiting' for their big break on Broadway.  Also, woe betide you if you don’t leave a more than reasonable tip because they’ll chase you down the street and question why?  

In Glasgow, a thank you and a smile is forthcoming and given graciously for whatever gratuity we leave!  Or is that just me?  I always have a fabulous time in New York but can’t help myself from making comparisons with my hometown. 


So, back to the inconceivable proposal! 

The day after the parade we spent time at Coney Island.  Fed up with walking; I stopped for a coffee and asked to join a man at the only available space.  He was very charming and welcomed me to sit down. When it was time to leave he suggested coming to Scotland to continue his ‘relationship’ with me.   He was very clear about what he wanted and even run the idea past my brother who also thought it might work!

He said he could work from anywhere.  I was curious as to what he did and he explained that after the 'troubles' in 2008 banks had stopped lending money to businesses and he stepped up, lending money to big business at a rate of 30%.  I asked if it wasn’t a bit risk and he replied, in his New Jersey accent he “had very persuasive ways of getting it back and always collected!"

FFS!  

After my recent, relationship experience, the last thing I need is another episode of trying to negotiate my way through smoke and mirrors; never mind one with a transatlantic, mafioso, money lender with a face like Sonny Liston after four rounds with Cassius Clay!

For the moment I’m quite happy to float like a butterfly through life and should the need arise my sting is much worse than a bee’s!  I might be wee but I can deliver a combination of punches so quickly and precisely that my opponents quickly realise they have no chance at the title. 

I did however, leave him my email and I’ll keep the option open in case I have to borrow some money in a hurry!

Tonight after a run in Alexandra Park I went for a coffee to Celino’s and sitting outside in the sun on the Upper East End of Glasgow I felt very content.  It made me realise that no matter where I go in the world I will always be a pure, Glasgow Girl at heart.  Sitting with my wee dog at one of my favourite places, on a sunny, Friday evening, I contemplate the next phase of my life with a sense of contentment and a heart beating with the steadiest rhythm of life!  

See you the next time!
Mx





No comments: