Tuesday 9 May 2017

Il Pavone

Orgoglioso Come un Pavone!


When I think of Glasgow I imagine an eagle soaring like a bird of prey, gathering people into a flock while embracing them in its feathery and expansive wings of hospitality.  Having been voted one of the friendliest cities in the world by Rough Guides I feel very proud to be a Glasgow Girl…Proud as a Peacock in fact!

Yes, I know, ‘Girl’ it stretching it a bit but that’s how I feel even though I’m a bit of an Auld Burd!

It’s no wonder people flock to our City like excited starlings gregariously looking for food, fun and maybe even couplings.  

One of my favourite streets is, of course, Buchanan Street and I’ve left instructions for some of my ashes to be scattered there and the remainder to be taken to Rannoch Moor because that’s where I like to go and, like an Eagle, enjoy the quiet, thinking time before striking my next target!

Eagles don’t eat dead things and they are known to love a live victim; always setting tests before trusting the status quo!  However, I like my food dead on the plate and have never had trouble trusting Il Pavone!

Nesting in Princes square, on the very beautiful street of fashion dreams, it opened its doors in 1991.  I was a patron right from the start because, being part of a Scottish-Italian family, we involved the children most of our social celebrations, mainly involving food and lots of wine.

In Italy this was easy but in Glasgow, up until that time, it was not as child friendly and children had tended to be left at home with babysitters when adults went to ‘the pub’.  We spent most Sundays getting To Princes Square early to be seated near the outside so that we could enjoy food and wine, while keeping loving watch on our girls, playing in the central area.

We would often spend the whole day there with Italian friends joining us from Edinburgh.  I have to say though it became a bit stressful because some people seemed to think it was kiddie's, fashion parade and I had a daughter who would not even let me comb her hair.  Nevertheless we have very fond memories of those times.


Let Glasgow Flourish!

Last night I visited the newly refurbished venue with my friend Guy Cowan and the surroundings were fresh and comfortable.  Carlo and the staff were charming and the food was as delicious as always.  We passed a lovely 4 hours which flew by and I look forward to my next visit.

Proud as a Peacock neatly sums up how Marco should be feeling now because having come through two recessions and a veryfast- growing market, with fierce and fledgling competition he is still there and about to go through Una Rinascita. 

Like the noble bird itself, Il Pavone has puffed its feathers with renewed verve giving it more vibrancy and leading it onto a path of rejuvenation through creating a vision for the future.  The Di Meo family maintain pride in what they do and continue to provide exquisite hospitality for visitors and the people of our very noble city!

Desidero Marco e la sua famiglia tutta la fortuna del mondo e dovrebbe essere piĆ¹ orgoglioso di qualsiasi Pavone Magnifico!

Good luck to the top Peacock and family!

See you the next time!
Mx




Click the link below to buy my book about a Glasgow Girl!















No comments: