Tuesday 29 August 2017

Mezze Glasgow!


So, I tell The Mary that we’re going to Mezze in Finnieston, which is the new, hap’ nin’ part of the West End.  She looks confused saying,

“I’m happy with that because that West End Is right up itself 
and they need some good, stiff competition.  
How big is the West end now?  
It’s nearly in the East End.”

This made me think about how we delineate areas of the city.  The East End is often viewed as ghettoised and a bit rough but we have the fabulous Kastriot’s Mediterranean Bar and Grill on the Upper East Side and Nakodar Grill on the Lower side in Dennistoun which, seemingly, is now part of Merchant City .  
I define a quarter based on how I dine and this area of Glasgow is right up there; with the fantastic quality of hospitality it provides. 

Also, the idea of the West End being posh is ludicrous when Maryhill and Partick are west of the Centre and Maryhill used to be classed as a scheme; it’s now very chic in my opinion. Celino’s have just opened in Partick and they call it Celino’s West.  La Lanterna will be opening soon at 447 Great Western Road but I see that part of town as still being the City Centre. The exact delineation of the West end is as vague as The Mary’s face when I’m talking about this.
I realise it doesn’t matter; my City is fabulous and I love it in its entirety without border, grid or definition.  North, South, East, West. I go where the food is best!

In 1941 the population of Glasgow was 1.000.000 and by 2012 this had decreased to 600.000.  400.000 people didn’t just disappear, there was migration, immigration and massive construction work going on over those years. I’m not a historian but it seems simple to me that the parameters of the City of Glasgow grew, as did the suburbs and the City actually became bigger.  
FACT!

If you google a map of Glasgow you’ll see Lennoxtown in the north, East Kilbride in the South, Airdrie on the East and, low and behold, Paisley in the West!  The West End is an area, not an actual place.  As The Mary would say,

“Get that right up ye!”

So, there you go, Paisley will soon be the new West End and there’ll be a boom in baby sucking blankets, Gluten free flour and quinoa.  Get ready for it Asda Govan

In the Mediterranean, sharing plates is a culinary tradition and I love this idea.  The Mary however is very suspicious and thinks I’m intending to tamper with her kleftiko but I explain that I’m more than satisfied with my saganaki.  She retorts with,

“Aye right, you’ve got a lot more sagging than your naki!”

I swear to God it’s just as well I only see her on a Monday.

The menu in Mezze consists of ‘lip-smackingly fresh, Scottish seafood dishes, daily market specials. Melt in your mouth chargrilled meats and kebabs that are cooked fresh to order’.  All their ingredients are sourced from local, independent suppliers’.  AND they use my favourite Italian Aroma Coffee!
 


I was there on Friday and had the sea bream which was white, flaky, fluffy, tasty and cooked to absolute perfection.  They bring the plates out when they are ready so they are piping hot when they come to the table.  My companion had the grilled king prawns and I had such food envy and wanted everything.  So, after sampling the fish dishes on my first visit it’s meat and sweet I’m concentrating on this evening.

The staff are so pleasant and the server Lucy remembered me from another place almost 4 years ago and she remembered how I like my coffee. Amazing! Tamara got drinks for us and was so pretty and polite it made the experience near perfect on a very wet night.  Now, I’m not advocating that ugly people can’t work in hospitality but making my way around Glasgow it must be an unwritten directive that staff need to be aesthetically pleasing.

The added beauty of this place is if you only wish to sip a cocktail you can sit in the ‘dreamy oasis’ set under the rooftop of The Rotunda amongst the olive trees, under the stars whilst listening to the pishing rain batter off the glass.  A truly Scottish version of the Mediterranean dream.   The views from here, if you can see them, are wonderful.  Or you could mix some Meds with a drink and hallucinate.  My friends and I used to sit at the Clyde side in the eighties gazing out at the rolling river while inhaling a naturally occurring psychedelic compound but that's another story. 
 
Until last week I didn’t know Mezze existed and I’ve been twice in a week.  So get yourself along, sample the menu, shimmy your Saganaki, shake your Kleftico and get on down with the Halloumi!

By the way, it was me making the sex noises this week when I ate the Walnut cake.  I was actually drooling as the moistness oozed out of the fluffy, spongy, heavenly light delight.  It only lasted about two minutes but I have to say it's the best 120 seconds I've had for a very, very long time!  I had to ask The Mary for a puff of her cigarette.  As I basked in the afterglow I was interrupted by The Mary saying,

“C’mon you.
The weans have got school in the morning!”

Back to reality with a thud!

See you the next time.

Me and The Mary
Mx


ALERT!

If that Aroma ever gave me some coffee
 I'd buy one of these 
Coffee makers !


      

No comments: