Tuesday 5 September 2017

'BABS





When I was teaching The Mary about the history of The Kebab and how it was similar to a Greek Dish, Gyro, or the Arab shawarma, which is made using seasoned meat shaved from a rotisserie, her retort was,

“That’s nice they're giving the unemployed food and a shave for nothing? 
They’ve no been open that long and already they’re giving back. 
Maybe you should come for a wee shave?”


You see, she was only half listening and thought I’d said, if you got a Giro you would get a free Turkish shave and a Kebab.  I swear to the B’Jesus if she doesn’t start paying full attention to me she’s getting bumped.  She tries to make excuses about having too much on her mind because she has 4 kids to look after. 

Seriously.  I have to book the table, pick her up and write this load of bollocks every week!

‘BABS opened around Easter time and have a great brand supporting them which is the same team behind Bread MeatsBread.  Their slogan is “kebabs done right”.  

I quite often pop into the fabulous All.Bar.One for a bite or a coffee and it was some of the staff in there who were recommending ‘BABS to me.  This reflects well on them and shows how, although some places are insecure enough to be worried about competition, the fact that All.Bar.One show support makes me love it even more.  Businesses supporting each other is what My City is all about.  
I love the feel of the place and it doesn’t pretend to be ‘revolutionary’, as stated by Glasgowist.  Not in the least pretentious, it has a feel of the Mediterranean without being over-elaborate.  I’ve learned my lesson and always try to pick a seat away from other diners because of the lascivious noises The Mary makes when she’s eating but this was difficult in ‘BABS because, even at 6.30p.m. on a Monday, it was very busy.

The very gorgeous Luljeta brought us some 'Baba Ganoush' and as I was busy explaining to The Mary what an aubergine was, she asked me to ‘shut it’ because I was spoiling her ‘dip buzz’. stating,

“I actually don’t give a shit what’s in it, so shut your mouth unless you’re eating before I finish it. 
Nae wonder you’re so slim. 
You talk that much shite it’s a wonder you manage to eat anything!”

This left a bad taste in my mouth and personally I think she’s jealous that I am so clever and always have something to say. My palate was very quickly refreshed by the smoky flavour and freshness of the peppers in my smooth, juicy Ganouch.
The lamb I had was tender, juicy, cooked exactly as I like and delicious.  I've read some reviews of this place and they claim portions are 'small'. Well I was very satisfied and would much rather have quality over quantity any day.  If you've had a few bevies and are suffering from the munchies I don't want to see you there.  Get yourself to the usual £3.50 a pop doner joint and heave it up in your own street but don't diss 'BABS because of portion size or mess with my territory.

I love it and cannot wait to go back and try the burgers.   At one point the lovely Ruta passed me with one for another table and I fell off my chair.  Instead of trying to help me up that Bloody Mary stole a bit of my Shish.  I had to go and cool off in the toilet before I gave her a taste of my tofu.  All the way home she kept saying,


"Remember that time you Falafal your Ganouch and hurt your Tofu?"

Anyway, my respite from The Mary was delightful because the toilets are absolutely lovely and you could actually eat your Babaganouch off the floor! 

So, take a wee doner in and shake your Shawarma!

See you the next time.
Me and The Mary
Mx



     

No comments: