Wednesday 8 November 2017

Angels Hotel!

When I spoke to The Mary about going to Harry’sBar and mentioned an Angel she said I was more like the Devil in Cherub’s clothing, insinuating I dress inappropriately.  That is a total misconception by someone who knows nothing about fashion!

She then starts harping on about how the F*** we’re going to get to Florence and back in time for Coronation Street and is the imaginary Angel going to be giving us a lift on her cloud?  Honestly, I know she lives in a mad house, looks after 4 weans and is a modern day equivalent of Miss Hannigan but it’s hard for me too.  Trying to think of places to go, book the table, get ready and continually check my diary to make sure I’m on track with social events.

In the eyes, or more precisely, the Website, of visitscotland.com Uddingston appears to be famous because of a biscuit and I have a problem with this.  The town is 7 miles from Glasgow City Centre has so much more going on.  Firstly, the entrance to Bothwell Castle gives a gateway to one of the finest 13th Century, stone built castles in the country and many lives were lost in a fight to retain this landmark.  Overlooking the River Clyde its location is stunning and this monument has place in history and should be recognised on any WWW platform before any biscuit, no matter how famous, is mentioned!
There’s  also an 18 hole golf course with excellent greens, challenges players of all levels and is recognised as one of the ‘premier golf facilities in central Scotland’.  There are practice nets, putting greens and they take pride in their swish clubhouse.  The town additionally boasts many other sporting facilities including rugby, cricket and hockey. 

So, stick that in your Tunnock’s teacake and munch it!  

Me and the Mary arrive at The Angel’s Hotel, not having booked and remember we’d done this before and didn’t get a table.  This time we’re in luck and the very lovely Julie leads us to a position in the middle of the Sala.  Now, it must be my up-dragging but I can't sit with my back to, either the door, or a roomful of people with potential weapons, such as knives and forks.  So I asked to be moved.  The Mary is raging raging,

“We’re lucky enough to get a table in the first place. Now your fear of crockery will get us chucked out again!”

I know how dangerous these deterrents can be because I once assaulted a guy by sticking a teaspoon up his nose right in the middle of a date.  He suggested, maybe I shouldn’t have sugar in my coffee.  I suggested he could perhaps save up for some enhancement surgery.  He’s lucky he took me for coffee and not dinner. Imagine the damage  I’d have done, to his scanty appendage, with a steak knife.  On second thoughts a butter knife might have sufficed!

Anyway what a great job they’ve done on the refurbishment in Angels and it’s now open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  They use local produce and I love the menu including most of my favourite pub food.  Call them classics if you like and, even in the very beautiful conservatory, I’m delighted that Harry’s Bar have stuck to what they’re good at...
Fabulously good food in a friendly, comfortable environment. 
I had Steak Pie and The Mary ordered fish and chips both priced very reasonably under a tenner.

When the scran arrived we were delightedly in our element that the hipster trend had not infected the heart and sentiment of the place.  I like my food on a plate,  plain and simple and that’s what we got. 

It was filling, well cooked and very plainly presented.  No hiding mediocre food under a veil of baskets, teapots, lego or on a shovel. I remember once getting my soup, in a jar, served with a straw and nearly died when a pea shot through and stuck in my oesophagus. When the bill arrived we were surprised to see the main courses were 2 for 1.  We humbly paid the bill feeling like thieves as we wondered out into the night but we did leave a hefty tip!

Charlie who brought our food was the most charming and chatty bloke and I'd go back just to see him!
Charlie is me darlin'.....
On the way out he Mary noted that they had rooms upstairs and hit out with,

“I see they have rooms upstairs.
Do you want me to ask if they rent them by the hour for you?”
Cheeky bastard!

So, whether it’s a birthday, wedding, engagement or simply a family dinner Angels is the place to go.  Food, atmosphere, location, setting and price range are all within the reach of everyone, even townies like me and The Mary.  

Oh, and if you do strike it lucky on a date or meet someone in the bar and they are up for it, they do have beautiful, comfortable rooms upstairs from about £70 a pop. 

Go on she might be worth it.  Be proactive book your table and a room now!
Who knows?  Harry could meet his Angel and end up in Heaven for under a hundred quid with the 2 for 1 deal!

See you the next time!

Me and The Mary!
Mx

Tunnock's Memorabilia! 
  

No comments: