Monday 6 November 2017

The Gardener!

The Gardener - Ashton Lane
The votes are in.  
The niche has been carved and The Gardener is a Hit!
The second I stepped through the door I loved it.  The Gardener is sleek, sharp, fresh and friendly with an herbal twist.  Ramsay Morris is an apothecary who creates potions of deliciousness using a plethora of natural elements fresh from the meadows.  Not sure how this would go down in the East End of Glasgow but the West Enders will relish this concept with an educated inquisitiveness.
Get prepared for the probing by a tough audience Ramsay although I’m sure you’ll savour the challenge!
When I saw the header ‘Coffee and Cocktails’ I was immediately drawn to the idea because I don’t drink but most of my friends do and The Gardeners’ premise intrigued me. I had no hesitation in accepting the invitation from Donal Hurrell to go along for the VIP event and that’s exactly how I was made to feel.  Although I did see the photographer Daniel McAvoy taking lots of photos of the more photogenic guests.  I think he mistakenly left me out and it had nothing to do with me not being they ‘Girl’ they were expecting!
Seedlip is the base of the Non-alcoholic cocktails and after my first one I was dizzy with excitement because, at last, someone had created a cocktail for me that didn’t make me feel like a 4 year old child being patronised with a grown up drink.  I would not even refer to these mocktails because it would be insulting to the product.  There is nothing disingenuous about what was on offer in the alcohol free menu.  There was honest passion created by the wizard who is Ramsay Morris.
I’d never heard of Seedlip before and was fascinated by the history and science of its distillery.  Founded by Ben Branson it’s the world’s first non-alcoholic spirit.  Now, I’ve always said I would rather have water or coffee than pretend to be drinking but this is an exception because it really did lift my mood.  We can sometimes forget the origin of alcohol was medicinal and used in many ‘holistic’ remedies.  Like many modern day, mood altering medicines, it very quickly shifted mainstream and was used for pleasure.

I suppose it was the cocaine of its day and as early as 1863 an Italian/Corsican created Vin Mariani; a mixture of wine and cocaine which was sold as an appetite suppressant.  Eventually, directed by changes in US laws and due to pressure from the Klu Klux Klan, it was diluted and basterdised by John Pemberton in 1885 transforming it into the osmosis we now know as Coca Cola.  Cocaine is still endemic in our society and there’s even such a thing as “Crack-lip” caused by the heat of the pipe.  Fabulous marketing tagline there for Blistex.
The only sensation my lips got in The Gardener were from Lipseed and eating the fabulous food.  I devoured the small plates of deliciousness so quickly I bit my tongue and lip at the same time.  The food was outstanding, service informative and pleasant, without being intrusive and the atmosphere was sophisticated and chilled.  Our servers Jack and Amy were twin-like in their polite, smiling, efficient, polished but informal delivery when supporting my addiction to coffee.  Jordan (Pronounced Jor-Dan) thanked us for coming and was a very glamorous and professional Host!

The Gardener use their very own artisan roasted coffee, blended for them by MatthewAlgie. It is a unique blend of beans from growers in Columbia and Vietnam.  Like most companies in our current, caring climate they hold the highest respect for human rights and you can read their Annual Statement regarding modern slavery by clicking this link! Based in Glasgow they employ over 200 people most of whom are based in the city. 
So, get along to The Gardener and savour their delights set almost like a rural haven in the most atmospheric lane in the city.  The foliage and tasteful music will get you in the mood for a proper, adult evening which will be healthy for your mind and intellect.  I did feel very informed about lots of things when I left and, should I say this?
Of course I will…
I don’t usually ‘big up’ G1 venues because I feel they don’t care what the punter or local munter has to say.  However, I do feel this venue is a new direction for them and I wish The Gardener all the best and I see it as a shining star, beaming down on a sea of corporate monotony!  
See you the next time!
#glasgowgirlg1
#tableforone

     

No comments: