Tuesday 22 November 2016

The Butterfly and The Pig





So, The Mary and I are off to The Butterfly and the Pig in Shawlands tonight.  I’d like to say I’m the one fluttering about and The Mary is trotting along but she might be a bit miffed and start grunting... and we all know what that’s like!

However,  The Mary was as happy as a pig in shit when I said we were going South and she seemed to think it might be warmer than Carntyne.  I'm not saying anything till we get there; best to keep her sweet, you know, to save my bacon and that. 

The Butterfly and the Pig is situated on the Southside of the river and opened in January 2015. (It used to be the iconic Corona Bar) Its shabby chic interior and quirky menus are similar to its Bath Street, sister venue and it feels like stepping back in time; which really suits The Mary’s retro attire the night.  

It actually reminded me of a previous life when I worked for a madam who lived on Monteith Row at the Glasgow Green.  A few of the girls and I used to do business on Fleshers’ Haugh.  Those were the days and after a hard couple of hours graft we would return to the auld girls’s parlour for supper.  She was an acerbic, old tart but we all depended on her for expertise.  

I called myself Nelly Sinful and now and again I get flashbacks of bouncing about in the back of a horse and carriage bumping over the grass in the Green!  It was such fun and financially fruitful!

The Mary was surprised when I told her this because she thinks I’m a cynical old swine and don’t believe in the here or thereafter.  Next time I would like to come back as a palaeontologist because I already have a vast knowledge of old fossils.    

Anyway, The Butterfly and the Pig provides diners with traditional Scottish breakfasts, afternoon and high teas but also offers a wide choice of hearty meals made to traditional recipes using local fresh ingredients. From everyone’s favourites; burgers, fish and chips to more special dishes of the day such as lamb cutlets or haggis the restaurant is open throughout the day, seven days a week.

It’s also very family, dog and well, generally just very friendly.  So they say, but, we’ll be the judges of that!  Talking about pets, I did think about taking my Wee Cicca out for an airing tonight but she's worn out just now, you know, with all the activity going on at mine; me having a gentleman caller and that.

On entry, we are delighted with the shabby chic interior, its mismatched furniture and vintage wallpaper but suddenly The Mary started having flashbacks to her house in Riddrie and I have to calm her right down with a diet coke to stop her heaving and sweating like a pig.

Then the two little pigs were approached by the beautiful butterfly named Melissa who served us. She was absolutley delightful! With her fresh-faced looks, beautiful blonde hair and gorgeous figure I swear I could have…!  

I'm right frisky these days....

There were so many delicious things on the menu neither of us could settle for one and we ordered things to share.  When we explained this to the gorgeous Melissa she moved us to a bigger table in order to make us more comfortable.  It was such a big table I thought it was another surprise for my Birthday and kept watching the door till The Mary punched me on the side of the head and told me not to be so stupid and that I was a spoiled, wee swine!



The Butterfly and the Pig takes pride in producing everything they make from scratch and are famous for their quirky menus and this was spot on.  Although we had to wait about 15 minutes for the food it was more than worth it.   

We shared the ‘Tittys traditional fish and chips, battered to death haddock wi’ mushy peas (all veggies beware they have nasty ham through the peees) and a slice of lemon. (Please be careful there may be one or two bones in the fish they had to move about you know) 10pounds 50pence)’ and the ‘Veggie frittata, like an omelette but not quite, done in a pan served with a side salad’ a pure bargain at 9 bucksamondo! Every single bit was devoured and The Mary and I were so ecstatic that her snorting and slavering didn’t even annoy me for once.

We were so full that we decided we wouldn't have any dessert.  Then the stupendous Melissa came fluttering back over and asked us if we would like something sweet.  I went into a sort of trance and found myself ordering the Lime and Coconut cheesecake with a cookie base.  

That’s how mesmerising that lassie actually is.

The Mary and I whimpered and dribbled at every mouthful.  The experience was heavenly and we never wanted to leave.  It was very relaxing and the time passed so quickly that The Mary wanted to stay for breakfast and I had to explain that she had responsibilities and we’d have to leave.  

On the way out The Mary was teary eyed as she looked over at what she thought was her Granny’s living room and I promised her we would come back very soon…and we will!

Very soon.

See you the next time 


Mx


No comments: