Tuesday 2 October 2018

Cutting It!


Don’t you just love going to restaurants where they have photos of previous customers on the walls?
Juniors in Brooklyn have signed pictures of Barbara Streisand, Bill Clinton, Frank Sinatra, John F. Kennedy and many, many more. To think I’ve probably sat on the very same seat as some of the Rat Pack fills me with awe and gratitude. Food is an equaliser and brings people from different worlds and backgrounds together, at all levels
Juniors, founded by Harry Rosen in 1950, is on Flatbush Avenue and was also the ‘venue’ for Carrie Bradshaw and Big’s wedding reception in Sex and The City. I usually visit for brunch before buying theatre tickets at the Metro Tech when I’m in New York; much better than queuing for hours at Times Square.
 

Yesterday, as I wandered around Cut in Bothwell looking for a familiar face I came across their gallery. Most of the art consists of fabulously, colourful cows. I’m sure this is in no way representative of the clientele. Although, I did witness tender loins, mature T-bones and ‘hung’ meet hanging around in the bar area.

Some folk like skirt or flap which benefits from a good marinate, best cooked medium but I prefer mature, thick, beef which has dangled for at least 10 to 14 days. Ageing improves flavour, is a bit nuttier but more importantly, has much better quality and taste.

Inspired by the herd of ‘coos’ I greedily choose both the burger and the beef. Nothing better than a good roast on a Sunday afternoon with juicy meat pate in a soft, steamy bun on the side. One dish is never enough for this Glasgow Girl. Variety, they say, is the spice of life and mine is very zesty at the moment.
The Cut burger was tasty and scandalously moist. It was accompanied by a spicy, sharp, Russian dressing along with perfectly seasoned, skinny, fries. The Roast Sirloin of Beef was beautifully presented with seasonal vegetables, creamy, smooth mash, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and beef gravy.
The Sunday menu is on offer at a very reasonable £12 £15 and £18 for 1,2,3 courses respectively. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable, observant and attentive.
After a very satisfying meal and my favourite Italian Aroma Coffee my companion asked me to his place to look at his etchings. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a hurry but I’m sure they are very well hung and beautifully presented. Ideally they should be at thigh level, not too high, not too low and hopefully not less than three feet from the floor!  
See you the next time!
Mx


No comments: