Wednesday 8 February 2017

Rogano!






In 1935, as the great Cunard liner 'Queen Mary' took shape on the Clyde, a restaurant was refitted in the same Art Deco style and a Glasgow legend was born.

With its unique 1930's ambience, Rogano is the oldest surviving restaurant in Glasgow. For over seventy-five years its chefs have dedicated themselves to the delicate art of cooking and serving the finest fish and seafood in the world from Scottish waters.  I’ve not been about that long and I sometimes wonder where all the auld timers that used to go to Rogano and Charlie Parker’s are.

I got barred from Parker’s once for stealing a chip off someone’s plate but they let me right back in the following week because the takings were down.  I had bad, girl power then all right.

Rogano was one of my favorite haunts in the late 70s.  I used to sit at the bar smoking cocktail cigarettes with gold tips.  They were called Sobranie and I must have looked like a fanny trying to match my fags to my outfit.  It’s also ironic they had Sobr… in the name; ‘cause I was usually smashed when partaking in this most repellant of habits.  Don’t remember the guys being repelled right enough!





As soon as we walked in The Mary said, ‘There’s something no right here; smells a bit fishy.’   I did suggest she had been very busy with the weans all day and it might be her but she was pure offended and I had to backtrack and say, ‘oh aye, I forgot this is a fish restaurant.’ 

Saved by the smell!

For all its ‘inimitable style’ the place is very welcoming and friendly and well situated in the very centre of town near the very stylish Buchanan Street and Princes Square.

Tianna who took us to the table was more than helpful and explained the Market Menu to us and it was brilliant and quite extensive.  You pick two courses and the food was very good value and the fish and chips was one of the best I’ve had.  Lovely, flaky fish and a light crispy batter.  I then had a very big portion of the sticky Toffee Pudding and I struggled with it which is unusual for me.

Sarah, our server was delightful and pretty.  All in all, it was very good but for me and The Mary it’s not always about the food but more about the experience.

Looking towards next week, which will be a total washout , we’ll be face with miserable bastards who are taking their burds out a night early to avoid the hike in prices.

Do not go out next Monday...it will be the worst might of the year.  Nearly as bad a the 14th itself which is by far the quietest night of the year...because they're all miserable!

Do not go girls.  If they ask you to go out any other night …dump them or take 'im 'round the swannie pon' and chuck him in.


Yes, of course it’s Valentine’s Day and neither me or The Mary are too bothered about that at all.  Actually, women always say that when there are no other prospects on the day itself.  We all pretend not to bother but actually…we do…very much! 

It’s as if the day was invented to cause murder and make people feel bad about themselves and doubt every relationship they’ve ever had.



It’s said that on February 14th about 278 A.D. a priest in Rome was executed under the rule of Claudius the Cruel there were many murderous and bloody campaigns.  You could say it’s the same today and that’s probably because of the amount of men who make the mistake of saying things like;


Now, is it just me, or would you no just punch him square in the face?

Or


You’d be searching his pockets for drugs!

The truth what girls want, (not women, we want good sex and cake) is to be taken out on a boat to a place in the middle of a lake that’s cover with swans.  Like in The Notebook.  I love that scene.

That’s reminded me of when we stayed in Bridgeton.  Once, on a beautiful Summer’s day me and my sister went to The Richmond Park and she shoved me in the ‘swannie pond’’.  It was thick with mud and she stood laughing while I sunk further in and then got belted when I got home because I had no shoes on.  They got sucked right in and I was off school for six weeks till I got a new pair.




Anyway as far as St Valentine’s Day is concerned we should take a leaf from Claudius’s book; ban marriage and engagements altogether.  There should be no rules or observance of binding contracts and everyone should be able to do what they like; with whoever they want; without being bound by law or love!

Why is there not an option on Facebook for a sexual relationship?

That would suit me perfectly!

I've always been a romantic.

See you the next time!


Mx

No comments: