Wednesday 5 July 2017

Ali Affleck



Today I’m off to see one of my favourite singers of all time.  Her name is Ali Affleck and the ‘gig’ is at The Royal Concert Hall and I am very excited.  She is performing with Bedlam Swing.  It’s Sunday afternoon, Glasgow is buzzing and it’s a fine, sunny, wonderful day.

On my way to the concert hall I come across the Soulsa CafĂ© on Glassford Street and I’m immediately drawn in and it gets me right in the mood for what’s coming the rest of the day.  It has a cool, jazzy vibe and the staff, especially the lovely Shane, are attentive and very pleasant.  I had a quick coffee and homemade scone but cannot wait to go back when I have more time. 


 
On to the Concert Hall.  People such as BB King, Johnny Cash, Van Morrison, Ray LaMontagne and, one of my girl/female crushes, Debbie Harry, have all played this venue which was only built in 1990 but I feel as if it’s been there most of my life.  Oh my lord, I’m getting on!  
   
Ali won ‘Best Jazz Vocalist in Scotland’ for 2013-14 and her enigmatic presence graces such bands as The Gin Mill Genies, Bedlam Swing and The Copper Cats.  She can frequently be found doing ‘Speakeasy Sessions’ at the famous Jazz Bar in Edinburgh on Chamber Street.  I’ve never been to one of these yet but I’m assured they are ‘fun filled events that feature the country’s finest musicians performing together in all kinds of combinations!’

Ali has been doing her ‘Vintage’ thing in both the UK and USA for a long time and is also a Lindy Hop and Balboa dancer meaning she completely personifies Swing and knows exactly how to get to the heart of this evocative and fun style of dancing.  I find jazz very suggestive and like that Ali maintains the cheeky and sexy charm that was known for when ‘Jazz and Dixieland’ were ‘Hot’ and very much in



What I love most about Ali is her complete and utter love of what she does and the way she is immersed in her performance with an unpretentious and girlish air.  She does this with  such panache and professionalism.  All this for eight quid, on a Sunday afternoon in my Gorgeous Glasgow!      

I saw Ali last year with The Copper Cats when they performed a traditional set including songs from Bessie Smith, Mildred Baillie and Hattie Heart and although I didn’t know much about these people Ali’s knowledgeable chat encouraged me to find out more and by this year I feel like a veteran of New Orleans Blues and am planning a holiday to that very location next year.

Ali Affleck is, indeed, ‘the real deal - a bona fide Jazz and Blues vocalist with a heartfelt vintage twist.’  I cannot wait to twist again like I did last summer and last Sunday!


Till the next time Ali when you’ll be Back in My Own Backyard!

I love Glasgow!

Kiss!


To listen to Ali or download her music click the link below!

No comments: