Wednesday 6 December 2017

Restauracja U Jarka!

When I said to The Mary we were going to U Jarka she thought it was a game and she said,
“No, U Jarka, me no Jarka!”
Because she spends so much time with the children it takes her a while to readjust and the conversation is a bit strange to start with on a Monday evening and although I find it tedious it’s still quite entertaining, for about five minutes.
We’re off to Finnieston tonight and going to the Polish Restaurant U Jarka which has been recommended by my good friend Guy Cowan.  I’m very excited as it’s a whole new experience for me as I’m a Polska Dziewica and have never, as far as I know, had a polish dish, although I’ve met a few in my time.  My friend Jolanta, who cuts my hair, is quite the Polska Przepych Cipki.
This former port for dock workers on the Lower West Side is now a haven for Glasgow foodies and tourists alike thanks to the SSE Hydro.  The post-industrial decline of the 70s and the fact machinery replaced manual labour brought devastation to this area previously known as the ‘Workshop of the Empire’.  
It’s now home to Cuisines of the World and has attracted an influx of young blood and there’s a whole stretch of Argyle Street now known as ‘The Strip’ which is vibrant and has an eclectic mix of bars and eateries.  We are off to 5 Parkgrove Terrace to visit U Jarka which is housed in the Polish club Sikorski House which was established in 1954.     
Named in honour of General Sikorski who was the Prime Minister whilst the Government was in exile and also the Commander-in-Chief of the Polish Forces during the Second World War.  Married to Helena who was the adopted daughter of the Zubczewski family he took up a job in the Department for water as an apprentice but by 1914 he was head of the Military Department of the Supreme National Committee.  He later was responsible for shaping Polish politics and was a very significant character in the independence movement.
I was trying to explain his strained relationship with his former ally Pilsudski when The Mary piped up with,
“The only relationship I’m interested in is the one with Lamb Stew so could ye shut up and look at the menu!”

One of the more popular dishes are Bigos which are basically Hunter’s stew and The Mary says it better be ‘bigos’ as she’s starving.  Made with various types of meat, but mainly pork, it is slow cooked with sauerkraut and other types of fruit and vegetable.  We opted for the Lamb, potato pancakes with soured cream and mistakenly ordered extra chips.  There was no need.  When the food arrived it was like a painting by   Wilhelm Sasnal, a contemporary Polish painter who mixes romanticism with realism.  Like him, I will be brutally honest and say this is the best food I’ve had in a very long time.  My reality was, on Monday evening, I fancied the sauerkraut off a plate of stew, for all of 13 minutes, and The Mary said it was the quietest I had been for 20 years.    
After eating the magical magnificent meat and vivacious vegetables I felt like one of Sasnal’s worn-out models having had a good seeing too and asked The Mary if I could have a cigarette.  That’s how good the food was.  I basked in the afterglow without the need to even have coffee.  This was a dream I didn’t want to wake up from as I took pleasure in the aftertaste of fresh lamb and more than two veg.
The next time we go I’m going to wear more comfortable clothing so my movement and appetite are not restricted when I try the speciality of smoked sausage, gherkins and cucumber slathered in sour cream.  Pound for £1 this is the most comforting and wholesome food two streets away from ‘Trendy Finneston’ but it’s a world away in value and flavour. 
This family run Polish ‘Farmhouse Kitchen’ is run by a husband and wife team and I feel like learning Polish, giving up my job, going to work there and take payment in food.  Next time I’m trying the zupa w chlebe which is a ‘deep, rich, beef stew encased in a homemade bread bowl’. 
Oh my Lord…edible crockery!
Do zobaczenia następnym razem...
 Me and The Mary!
Mx

Come with me on this journey!
Click the link, make the stew!


No comments: