Thursday 14 December 2017

Ushas!


Ushas!

(In this post I will be referencing Hindi and although it is not the national language of India it is the official one ref: Article 343 part XVII of the constitution) 

So, I said to The Mary we were going for Indian street food and she refused to leave the house saying; 

“Don’t be stupit it’s -5 degrees and you’re want tae eat on the bloody street.  Whits wrang wi’ you?” 

No, I explained we're off to Ushas in Merchant Square and we’d been to the one on Byres Road and she’d loved it.  It’s getting really hard and sometimes when I’m explaining things to her I feel like a teacher talking to a child. 

FFS! 

After picking up my Babylady, off we went to town, which was very quiet considering it’s only two weeks away from one of the biggest Birthdays of the year.  Shane MacGowan was born on 25th December 1957 and wrote my very favourite Christmas song, the classic, Fairytale of New York!  

Who else was born on that day?  

Oh… 
Dido and Quentin Crisp.  I’m sure there was somebody else but my memory it terrible! 

Indian food is my favourite and I'll never attempt to cook it because sincerely I believe certain foodare a fundamental part of culture and methods are dictated by environment, philosophy and society.  Yes, we can learn, or be taught how to cook a dish but are we able to connect with the ingredients and procedurewell enough to do it justice? 

“Food thus entwines intimately with much that makes a culture unique, binding taste and satiety to group loyalties.  Eating habits both symbolize and mark the boundaries of cultures.”  
(Gabaccia & Gabaccia, 2009 p.9) 


Taking into consideration opposing values and cultural differences; cooking practice and presentation are already moderated according to availability and adaptation of ingredients in this country.  ‘Authentic’ Indian food is both technically and labour intensive, so this, added to the fact Glaswegians are well travelled, familiar with the concept of ‘themed or authentic’ restaurants are, in themselves, challenging for the industry 

Proprietors and managers in Glasgow are faced with the 'brief' of recreating genuine food representative of transcontinental ethnicities in order to satisfy a very clued-up and, may I say demanding, audience. 

Ushas serves the most delicious bhojan.   Having been inspired by vendors on the streets of India they blend modern taste with traditional methods using the best locally sourced ingredients to offer a ‘high quality family’ experience.  Their vegetarian menu is extensive and although I love vegetables I do prefer them with a leg of lamb!  

I fancy Murgh Makhani or Achari and when I tell The Mary she hits out with, 

Did he no play for Celtic?” 

At this point I feel like hitting her on the Patina Ghoosht with an Aloo Gobi before telling her to Goan Saag her Poppadoms.   

The Mary is not keen on chilli and has never really been that Hot to tell you the truth, but, luckily in Ushas you ‘choose your heat before you eat’ and she goes for Beginners Butter Chicken which is like Indian baby/granny food.  She's sort of used to eating with the weans anyway.  I go for Lamb Saag with tender meat cooked traditionally with spinach and My Babylady opted for Lamb Bhoona served with fresh green chillies, coriander, sautéed onion and pan-fried mushrooms, served with a roti. 



I was surprised with her choice because she recently told me she was ‘scared’ of mushrooms.  Now, I‘ve never know this lassie to be frightened of anything, except me.  When I challenged her on this she said she’s always thought the top of a mushroom looked like a dolphin and the very thought of munching a Fishy Mammal made her feel sad.  She also claims to hear the sound of squeaking when they’re being chopped!   

On that note I will say, if you are looking for good food, value for money and an amazing choice of both vegetarian and carnivorous wonders then get yourself to Ushas.  Share few plates of genuinely, delicious, wholesome and fulfilling food, in an energetic atmosphere.

I'm very happy to say this HOT spot serves my favourite Italian Aroma Coffee which makes it perfect! 

Isalie, agar aap paaramparik aur praamaanik bhaarateey bhojan se pyaar karate hain to Ushas jaate hain!  

See you the next time! 
Me and The Mary.   
Mx   



Cllck the link to buy my favourite!


                                                                                           

No comments: