Friday 16 June 2017

All That Jazz!

All That Jazz!


When anyone asked me about music I tend to say Jazz is my favoured genre but my answer is both dishonest and ill-informed!

“The term jazz or jass derives from a Creole word that means both African dance and copulation.”
So we could say, literally, Jazz comes with Jizz or visa versa!

I like all sorts of music from 15th century Renaissance to current popular genres but, when asked, I still, usually say… Jazz!

This style of music originated in New Orleans at the beginning g of 20th century and has since developed through, and is forever transient because of, the use of improvisation and the sheer melodic freedom it provides. 

It ranges from a simple type of diatonic; five tones and two semitones to an almost esoteric, chromatic, bedlam which involves modifying normal scales with the use of accidentals.  This basically gives Jazz musicians the right of way to do whatever the hell they like and sometimes I have to cover my eyes and ears.

I’m not a fan of Scat which is, I think, when singers imitate instruments through the use of voice.  I’d much rather hear the voice and the instrument in harmony.  For me, a voice could never replicate the sound of a Saxophone for instance.  The exact way in which Scat come about is unknown but there are many urban Myths.

One of these being when Lois Armstrong, “described how, in the middle of the tune he dropped the lyric sheet and was forced to improvise horn-like lines, built on wordless syllables, with his voice."  Like any oral history this is disputable but seemingly there is a tape somewhere with a recording of the performance.

So, how can we actually define Jazz?

The regular use of forceful rhythm, what’s not to like about that?  Dixieland, blues, swing, bebop, violin, piano, guitar, violin or drums? The range within this genre is immeasurable and immensely innovative.  

Variety is the spice of life but I know, within my soul, that it’s the blowing, sweating, breathless and magical sound and vision of the Sexy Saxophone that does it for me. 

“Give me the Sax and I’ll deliver!” could be my tagline! 

The sound of this instrument does something to my brain that overtakes my being and transforms me into a 1920s minxy flapper!  These ladies, for me, were the epitome of class and temptation.  If you gave them the Jazz they would certainly promise the Jizz!

I don’t like to put things in boxes or apply labels but I do know what I like when I experience it!  Sometimes it’s bedlam and at others it’s smooth.


  Last night I was in Guy’s in Merchant city and there was, what seemed like, a very unassuming couple doing their thing at the piano.  Turns out that the lady was Alyson Orr; actress and one third of The Swing Cats.  The ‘boy’ playing the piano was David Farrell who is a self-taught musician who has ‘the most delicate touch on the ivories’.
 
Their sound was understated and for me was class, personified in music!

Smooth!

I felt very privileged to sit there drinking coffee with a good friend, after a very fabulous dinner, to be entertained by such talent on a wonderous, Thursday evening in the city I love.

See you the next time!
Rx


To book at table at Guy"s click o the link below!




No comments: