Tuesday 6 June 2017

Modicum of Decorum in Airdrie!




Who’d a thought me and The Mary would have had such a busy evening ‘out of town?

I’ve always been a pure townie and love the buzz about Glasgow but I have to say this quarter of North Lanarkshire was buzzing last night.  If Modicum means a ‘small quantity of anything’ then it has no bearing on the motivation and ambition of the small businesses, with big dreams in this part of town.

First stop for  me, Baylady and The Mary was to attend the Grand opening of a new Salon in Southbridge Street and my pal had went all out for the occasion.  'It' turned up to my car like Joan Collins; with her ‘new’ sandals, white jeans and a gorgeous new ‘Whiter than white’ jacket. 

The Mary and Babylady


I was raging that she had kept the new ensemble a secret.  I was still in my bloody work stuff.  I’m popping round the night to take a photo of her with the stained jammie bottoms and crumpled, ripped top she usually wears.  How dare she show me up?  Well seein' she had a whole day off from the sprogs to get that dolled up.

Now, I’m not a jealous person but she did look fabulous and I might go out with her more than once a week in the future, when the kids have grown up.  Of course, by that time, it will probably involve zimmers, Tena ladies and possibly, the odd carer but hey ho!

Decorum means good taste and propriety and I have to say Louise and Lorraine are spot on with the décor and layout of the new venue.  I say venue because I know, with this mob running the place, there will be a lot more than beauty and hair going on and it will be a buzz of social activity.   The very place to go for a bit of fun and good banter.

The décor is simple with clean lines and class; decked out with decent and effective lighting.  Have you ever gone to get your hair or make-up done and hardly been able to see what the f*** it looks like, only to get home and start greetin’?




They also had some right fetching eye candy there for the launch, in the form of David Brophy and what a forme that was.  This guys physic is astonishing.  The Mary was drooling over a beer and there I was slavering over him.  I thought the evening couldn’t get any better but then we moved on to the second phase of the evening to IL Capo and there was Martin.  He is handsome, charming and professional.  

Lucky 'them' to have him I say!

I actually do not know how I would have survived without taking a seizure if 'them', George and Sam had also been there.  I had coped with just about all the testosterone my wee body could take by this point.  

The Mary continued on her sensational, beer fuelled journey towards the best Focaccia she has eaten, so far, this year and Il Capo did not disappoint!




That’s the difference between me and The Mary; I’m all for the initial excitement of an encounter and then I’m very quickly bored and need visual and mental stimulation in order to give my time to even a temporary liaison.  Whereas she is fully committed to the ultimate quest towards a lifetime of faithfulness to her enduring love of a piece of stone baked dough. 

Have to say I may have dated something of that description for a very short, sharp time but I have commitment issues due to my short attention span and quest for decent, intelligent conversation!  The Mary is an exception to this because she's my pal; so can bore me all she likes.

Il Capo Airdrie never lets us down and I had Italian Sausage; I thought I’d had my fill of that also but... 
I thought I’d give it another try.  Who knows?  

Sausages come in all shapes and sizes…!

The pasta was cooked to perfection and although we were quite satisfied with the saucy, hot sausage we opted for seconds.  

Oh My Lord, the Malibu meringue with coconut ice cream and edible flowers had me in raptures.  Nearest I’ve come to an erotic experience since 12th February and the least said about that flat piece of crumpet the better!

The Meringues are made by a lady in Linlithgow and are exquisitely light and perfectly formed.  You can find her and her daughter Kirsty at the link below and she also makes clootie dumplings which I have been promised a sample of in the very near future.  

Cannae actually wait!



Il Capo state on their website that it;

It takes more than exquisite cooking to make a memorable meal. We at Il Capo in Airdrie believe an intimate atmosphere in the right location, personal and attentive service and great company are what separates a delicious dinner from an unforgettable experience.”

I agree totally.  Martin, Ryan and Kirsty were friendly, chatty and are so enthusiastic about what they do that they are a credit to themselves, the venue and Glasgow!

I now fully accept Airdrie into the fold and see it as an integral part of my town.

See you the next time!

No comments: