Tuesday 13 June 2017

Fratelli Sarti





So, the weather has not been great and I know it’s been raining but The Mary turned up in her Wellies tonight!  FFS!

When I phoned to make arrangements she’d misheard me.  With all the kids shouting in the background, noise of the telly and the fact that she was emptying the washing machine at the same time, she thought I’d said, 

“Get sorted and wear wellies on yer feet”.  

She really needs to pay more attention and learn how to multi-task.

I thought it was very funny so let her come in the car and never let on.  She thought it was a wee surprise and we were going to some ‘outdoor barbecue thing’ at the Glasgow Green.  She was actually quite excited; which just shows how happy she is to get a night out.   

So imagine her surprise when I parked on Bath Street.   

“Whit ur we daein here?”  she said

I explained I had actually said, 

“Going to Sarti’s on Wellington Street!” 

It was very funny.   Well, at least I thought it was, until she started complaining that she might get ‘Planter Fasciitis’.  Now, I thought she was talking about herbs because we had both been repotting food-like plants at the weekend but she explained it’s something you get from walking in wellies.  

I need to ask Lorraine @ Funny Feet about this? 



Seemingly, it’s something to do with the arches of the feet not being supported and she might need to get some pain relief gel.  I told her I’d need some valium to keep me calm if she didn’t shut the f*** up!

All she had to do was sit in the car and then walk to the restaurant; it’s not as if she cares what she looks like, so it was not a big problem as far as could see.  This was going to be a long night.  It’s enough that she complains about her fibromyalgia, looking after 4 children, the size of the garden, her thinning hair and everything else but to go on and on about her apparent problems and spoil my night is not on. 

My time is precious!

The Sarti brothers have three restaurants in Glasgow and the first one opened its doors as a cafĂ© bar and deli in 1992, I can’t actually believe it was 25 years ago!  I used to go for breakfast, at least once a week, and it was a haven before starting work and set me right up for the day.

When Sandro and Piero, along with a friend Gerry O’Donnell, opened in 1992 their concept was to bring together the quality and simplicity of food from the mountains of Garafagnana and combine this with wonderful Mediterranean seafood from the Versilia and Liguria regions of Italy to create an authentic and simple Cucina Italiana!  They did this with flourish and created a benchmark for others to follow.


As soon as we went in The Mary started to complain that her feet had started to smell and it was my fault she was wearing completely inappropriate footwear.  I explained that it was probably the fabulous cheese she could smell, like Gorgonzola, Taleggio, Pecorino Toscana and my very favorite Dolcelatte. 

She was happy with that but, to tell you the truth, I think it might have been her feet. 

The Mary and I agreed that there was a more European feel to the place rather than Italian but it was welcoming and cosy.  George the Greek met us at the door and was cheekily charming and our smiley, Spanish server was delightful, informative and they were both very cheery and enthusiastic.

I choose the seafood bruschetta to start and I’m not sure what they do with fish in Liguria but it tasted a lot like prawn cocktail, created by our very own Fanny Cradock to me, with a bit smoked salmon on toast.  

It was delicious all the same.  The Mary doesn’t really like fish so opted for a tomato Bruschetta!


We both choose the rolled pork with sauce and this definitely had flavours of Italy and was accompanied by the most wonderful roast potatoes.  As you can see from my, nearly empty, plate the main course was exceptional.  

We were too full for dessert but had coffee.  

The evening included an extra and unexpected jaunt to Sarti’s in Bath Street and had we known that’s where the toilet was we would have booked there instead.  The Mary went mental and gave me abuse when she phoned me from the toilet to say that her  ‘Planter Fasciitis’ had been exacerbated on the trek and she wanted me to pick her up in the car to bring her back round.

You get to the toilet through a series of underground tunnels with steep, slippery stairs and although I found it quite exciting The Mary had trouble getting there and back.  With Her baker’s cyst and our weak bladders we would need to be better prepared if we ever went back.

See you next time.
Rx


To book a table click on the link below but make sure if you have a weak bladder or mobility concerns to book Renfield or Bath Street!









No comments: