Friday 23 June 2017

Bella Fresca!



So, I was feeling right, Bella Fresca when I went to pick up The Mary and I sensed she was a bit anxious.  I’d been to Troon at the weekend and told her we were going a bit further out of town.  She thought we were going to the seaside and was getting separation anxiety.  I thought this concerned the kids but it was the opposite.  The nuggets were with their fabulous Auntie and Uncle Nugent and she didn’t want to be too far away from her bed.  

I assured her we were only going to the West End of Paisley but nevertheless still didn’t trust me and insisted we didn’t go on the motorway because she was convinced I was trying to ‘grannynap’ her and take her ‘down the coast’.

Paisley can be a bit full of herself and sometimes needs to be put in her place.  She would love to be a city but is still a town, albeit a great town…a town she still is.



Famous for her swirly pattern, Abbey and textiles it has a rich history, with some very famous landmarks including; The Paisley Thread Mill and The Dooslan Stane which, in the past, was used was a soapbox.  Maybe I should go to Brodie Park and stand on it ranting about Paisley not being a city!

One of my very good Friends was married in Paisley Abby and I would say the ownership of that beautiful, neo-classical style building would cause me to give the finger to anyone who said Paisley was not a force to be reckoned with. 

Paisley you are affiliated with the City of Glasgow and what could be better than that so be patient, your day will come?  

Paisley...You are fabulous the way you are!

Besides the great variety of shops and retail opportunities, including the Piazza and shopping centre, there are some great restaurants in the town and The Mary and I stop at the first one which appealled to us on Paisley Road West.



Bella Fresca is an Italian Delicatessen established in 1997 by Antonio Colella and Lucio Celino and yes, related to the wonderful Celino’s on Alexandra Parade on the Upper East Side of Glasgow.  A very Talented and hardworking family!

See previous blog! Celino's - Then and Now!

They have something on offer for everyone; from Italian cured, cooked meats, breads, cheeses, beers, wines, spirits, filled rolls, homemade pasta dishes, pizza, panini, arancine and even the most delicious take away coffee.  Not sure which coffee it was though but I’m sure it wasn’t my favourite Aroma. 

Aroma Italian Coffee I know Aroma when I taste it!



I had the most delicious pasta with prawns, garlic, chilli and they had thrown fresh, peppery rocket on top and that, my friends, is one of my favourite things.  The Mary assured me that the focaccia was brilliant and we discussed this for ages because we/she usually like a really fine crispy one but this was thicker but very tasty and still crispy all they way from the middle to the edge.

The Mary had her usual Carbonara.  She really needs to widen her palette.  You see, because she doesn’t get out much she’s scared to try anything different in case she’s disappointed and will be greetin’ all the way home.  I cannae go that so don’t encourage her too much I mean, we can’t have my night spoiled can we?  I normally stay in two nights a week and don’t want to spend one of them regretting a single moment of my very precious time!

I'm a bit like Paisley and it's all about me tonight.  Need to get home before I start to feel too full of myself like a proper, paisley burd!  No offence Helen, Elizabeth and all my other dear friends from Paisley you have fought to be townies and I have been privileged to help you on that journey!


Lucio and Antonio will continue to meet the needs of their customer though listening to them, trying new dishes and adapting to change in order to stay ahead of the game.  I might try their other place next time and look forward to it with Gusto and will remain Bella Fresca till my next visit to Paisley’s CafĂ© Royale!

See you the next time!

Glasgow Girl! 
X




No comments: