Thursday 19 October 2017

Florence!

Table for One in Florence!


My first evening in Florence was a Saturday and I would never go out in Glasgow on this night of the week without booking but had the bare-faced cheek to do it in of the most beautiful cities in the world. 

I was staying on laPiazza Santo Spirito which is in the very Bohemian Oltrarno area of the city.  When I arrive there’s a very exciting and yet familiar feeling to the place and the lady who gives me the keys to the apartment suggests a Trattoria nearby for a bite to eat.  It’s at the other end of the square and when I get there it’s queued out onto the street. 


I do my usual, walk straight up to the front and say 'I’ve booked a table'.  The guy looks at me, laughs, then takes me to a Table for One saying,

“Sei furba, ma bella, e cosi ti permetto di mangiare questa sera!.” 

He was basically saying I was a cheeky wee bastard but I could eat just the same because I looked alright.  My luck was in, more ways than one, or so I thought.  I ordered the baccala, it was finished, so I said I’d have the tripe, there was none of that either.  So I asked the lady what did they actually have left? 

“Everything else!”

She replied, looking at me as if I was an imbecile.  I’d actually forgotten how much of a shit the Italians don’t give about anything.  It’s very funny.  

Funnier still was the fact I’d forgotten my purse and when I said, very meekly, to the bossy woman she was very understanding and although I offered to leave my bag, she was having none of it and said I had an 'honest face' and could come back with the money.

When I went back she laughed and said she knew where I was staying anyway because my key holder was her friend and had phoned earlier to reserve the table. They had been expecting me and when I looked over at the guy who had taken me to my table he just smiled and blew me a kiss.  They had a right good laugh at my expense. 

I love the Tallies!

So, if you ever go to Florence, no matter where you are staying try to take a trip over to the south side of the river to Via dei Michelozzi 9/R 50125 Firenze and remember to phone and book a table…0039 (0)55 218624

Warning: Many of the streets in Florence are cobbled so you need to wear comfortable, but gorgeous, shoes, even in the evening. I carried my heels in a Langchamps shopper which is acceptable in any country day or night!

You are in Italy after all!

I choose these beauties!

     

See you next time!
Glasgow Girl

To contact Trattoria Casalinga!
http://www.trattorialacasalinga.it/#!/contact.php


No comments: