Wednesday 25 October 2017

MMA - Ultra!


Sign up, learn a new skill, FREE and raise money for cancer Research?
There was no question I’d be up for this but thankfully my pal Brian O’Hara signed up before me and I was able to witness the outcome first hand without having to damage myself in the process! 

"Experience this glamorous event in front of a huge crowd in a safe and enjoyable environment with 8 weeks of free training in the run up to what will be the most exhilarating time of your life."  

Aye, and it could well be the last day.  As much as I’d like to get ‘in shape’ I would more than likely shit myself to death in the course of the training, never mind the final ‘performance'?

All fighters have a medical before and after they fight but I was calling a doctor for myself after watching the first 'massacre' which lasted all of two minutes.  I had to watch the rest through my fingers.  I have to say the idea of getting dressed up for an occasion on a Sunday afternoon to watch muscly, semi or even semmit-clad men, had been, my idea of bliss. 

Not the case girls!

I was terrified and told Brian how much I loved him in case I never got the chance to speak to him again.  Entering the arena, I nearly fainted when I saw the cage. I saw Fight Club and, although I knew it was only a film, I still tried to contact Angelina to find out if Brad was Ok?  I was always team Jennifer but by the time I saw the film he was Brangied oot his nut!  Maybe it was those bangs to the head?
I didn't find it in the least reassuring that all fighters were to have a medical before the fight, had to be over 18 and trained together to ensure a fair match.  People change under the spotlight and you I witnessed the shining eyes of the Tigers when they come out for the publicity shots.  They were hungry like wolves and Brian looked like a puppy dog wishing everyone luck.
It was a melee of kicks, punches and strangle holds which, in this forum, were all perfectly legal and I had no clue what was going on.  My only experience of this 'sport' before was a boxing evening at the Hilton 30 years ago and I'd tackled a bottle of Remy Martin Fine Champagne in the lead up to it and was dancing on a table by the time the second fight started, but this was different.  I was sober and he's my best pal's husband, whom I love dearly.

In the first fight I witnessed a choke hold, shoulder lock and slam all going on at the one time. I had to go up to one of the officials to complain because a fighter's sweat had hit my teapot.  I was raging when he didn't stop the bout and drew him a look that nearly floored him.  I had wanted to elbow him while holding him in a spine lock but I knew that wasn't allowed.  

He got off lightly.

Don't know how Brian felt because my legs nearly gave way as he stepped into the ring and I was sitting down.  It was one of the most uncomfortably terrifying 2 mins. 57 seconds of my life and although everyone agreed it had been wrong to stop the fight, I was relieved.  I couldn't wait to leave and as soon as Brian was suited, booted and back to civility beside his adoring wife Helen, I gave up my seat to the hero and said my cheerios!
I was nearly sick when I got outside but had such admiration for the boys and girls fighting for what we all know is a very worthy charity.   Granted, some of them were posturing and enjoying every moment in the spotlight but they all did their very best and raised a large amount of money for cancer research.

You can still donate to Brian's just giving page by following this link!

Or if you feel like competing the next time click here!


  

No comments: