Tuesday 3 October 2017

Glasgow Rocks

1st October 2017, my lucky day!
Duncan Smillie invited me to an event at The Emirates Arena in Glasgow on a Sunday afternoon and it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Duncan is the owner of Glasgow Rocksand his ambition, enthusiasm for the sport, life and business would be hard to match. I've spoken to some people about him and hear the same words over and over again!
Passionate, awesome, focused, larger than life, fun, talented, enthusiastic, leader...etc. So, bearing this in mind and the thought of learning something new, or in fact anything about sport, there was no question of me saying anything but,
"Thank you, I'm honoured and very excited."
I find myself overwhelmed with the excitement, and cannot wait for the tip off with Glasgow Rocks and Sheffield Sharks who are about to lock horns in the BBL Championship. I’ve turned up with a bit of padding in my pants because I hear it’s Fat Bottomed Girls that make this sport’s world go round but to tell you the truth, the Glasgow Rocks will can wobble my skinny ass any time. My companion for the day is the fabulous marketing Guru Donna McAteer
The atmosphere is electric and reminds me of a football game I attended in San Siro when A.C. Milan played Perugia in 2002, the memory is hazy after the abundant lunch in Monza. Oh and the wine, there was wine. I was wearing brown, snakeskin shoes with a matching bag, silk blouse and a wool, cashmere cream skirt and had La Perla with Wolford stockings underneath. The score was me 10 - game - cannae remember! 
However, the atmosphere In Milan was tense and volatile but here, at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, I’m filled with a sense of anticipation and exhilaration. I’ve never been to a Basketball Game before and, although I feel a bit of a fraud, I’m delighted to be here and very proud to witness the only professional basketball team in Scotland.
Formed in 1998 they've proven they have the ability and staying power to compete in such a competitive sport and ‘remain at the top level of the British game’. The actual, first game of basketball was in 1891 and instigated by Dr James Naismith who taught physical education and created an indoor activity safe to play indoors. He based it on a game he played as a child called ‘Duck on a Rock’.
The beauty of Basketball is the simplicity and lack of equipment. All you need is a ball, a hoop and a willingness to practice to do well in this very skillful sport. They say the game goes back 500 years when the Olmec people of Mexico used to stoat human heads about. Or is that a memory I have from my childhood the Gorbals? David Tanner did try to educate me further on the game but then he got distracted by a Rockette.
Anyway, enough of the Glesca Rockets. The only Rocks I’m interested in today are the very fit looking ones in front of me. Now, I’m not a ‘Sports’ person but I do know what success, ambition, commitment and fitness look like. Also, I definitely do know how to have a good time and that’s what I intend to do. Especially with the handsomeness on offer, firstly in the deliciously formed Kieron Achara who is very forward indeed. 
Born in Stirling he previously played for Falkirk Fury as a junior before moving to the USA where he played at Duquesne. He attained the 2nd all-time scoring list for blocked shots making him, in my opinion, a weapon of mass deflection and, as such, commands great respect from his opponents! 
As the music starts and the Rockettes do their thing it's pure theatre which starts off with lighting so effective at creating an electric atmosphere it's like the final of the X-Factor. The difference here is, there's real talent on the stage and they are on display in front of a near capacity audience who are ready for show time.
When asked to guess the score I wrote 2-0 before David Tanner belted me then hit me over the head with a program. I was, of course, kidding and predicted the actual score which was Glasgow Rocks 76-86 DBL Sharks Sheffield (28-27, 41-51, 65-66) but forgot to hand in my slip. This was the first win of the season for DBL Sharks from Sheffield and we 'let them have it' because that's what we do in Glasgow; make our guests feel welcome so they'll come back.
After their home loss on Friday The Sharks were hungry for a win and we satiated their appetite but didn't give them extras and we got our just desserts. The leading scorerswere Murray 21, Harrison 17, Billups 13 (Rocks) – McKnight 18, Tuck 17, Alexander 12 (Sharks) That's all the technical stuff your going to get from me but to read more click on any of the links below for your preferred 'Rag'. Although I had a look this morning and was very disappointed with the lack of reporting on this event.
So, there is really exciting basketball going on and it's gaining more momentum by the week and the audience is loyal and committed so get your act together; Daily Record Express The Herald The Scotsman The Independent. I know there was some running thing going in Glasgow yesterday and you're all very busy but get get reporting and supporting our very own Glasgow Rocks.
As the only professional basketball team in Scotland they deserve more than a mention in the sports'/ football pages. The Glasgow Rocks remain at the top level of the British game and unlike some football teams, who've suffered from delusions of national grandeur, they have proven they have the staying power to compete nationally.

     

No comments: